The Cass County Council on Aging is now accepting applications from individuals interested in volunteering as members of the Board of Directors. The Board establishes policy and provides governance for the organization.
The Board meets the third Tuesday of each month at 8:30 AM at the Edward Lowe Center for the Council on Aging. The center is located on the corner of M-60 and Decatur Road in Cassopolis.
To act as a voting member of the board with full authority and responsibility to develop policies, procedures and regulations for the operation of the organization; to monitor the organization’s financial health, programs and overall performance; and to provide the executive director with the resources to meet the needs of those the organization serves.
The Full Board’s Responsibilities:
- Determines and reviews policies and operations.
- Implements selected policies.
- Accountable for fiscal and physical facility resources
- Responsible for hiring and evaluating Executive Director.
- Creates and updates a long-range plan for the organization.
- Selects and supports the organization’s board officers.
- Participates in board development activities.
- Periodically reviews performance of the board.
Individual Board Member’s Duties:
- Attend all board meetings and activities, including special events and board retreats.
- Become knowledgeable about the organization
- Come to meetings well-prepared and well-informed about issues on the agenda.
- Contribute to meetings by expressing your point of view
- Consider other points of view; make constructive suggestions and help the board make decisions that benefit those the organization serves.
- Serve on at least one committee (Finance, Programs, Awareness, Board Continuity, Resource Development)
- Represent the organization to individual, the public and other organizations.
- Support the organization through a personal financial contribution.
- Assume board leadership roles when asked.
- Keep the executive director informed about any concerns the community has.
The Board Continuity Committee will review all applications. Selected candidates will be asked to interview with the committee in late March. New members will be approved at the April Annual Meeting and Volunteer Recognition Dinner. Terms of office begin in May.